20th September 2020: An Epic Endeavour
It's been a slow, strange few months, during which I should have been rattling out achievements to document here. However, I have found myself completely unable to play computer games because of some bad RSI in my mouse-clicking fingers. And the hot weather, as it does every year, really put a dampener on my painting.
And yet, there has been a bit of movement in the tabletop gaming arena, especially these last couple of weeks.
Though I'm supposed to be painting my 6mm Tyranids, I instead got the urge out of nowhere to paint my 40K Imperial Guard characters. I rattled the officers off in short order, but my motivation ceased when I got to the Commissars.
That has pretty much been my only 40K involvement for the past 6 months, other than my decision to correct some big fuck ups with some green stuff that I made nearly 11 years ago now. I had never been happy with my hair attempt on either model, so I tore that crap off, and will now have to put them both in the stripping pot so I can re-paint them at a later date.
I have continued to feel the urge to get my Epic armies to the tabletop again, but I'm still struggling to fully work on a new ruleset.
I have instead been doing some work on preparing the armies. I've freshly basecoated all of my Evil Sunz, as well as re-basing a lot of Orks and Imperial Guard. As I had never painted one before, I decided to paint the Mega Gargant first, which was an interesting challenge, though I've also done the Fighter-Bommerz. I'll next be moving on to the rest of the red ladz, but first I figured I should finish the Trygons that had been sitting half-painted since some time back in March.
The main reason that I'm really feeling Epic right now is that I got tempted to pick up some Eldar again. I used to have an Eldar army back in the 90s, but Scoob ended up with it at some point. I can't remember how or why, but I've always regretted getting rid of it.
But now, I'm looking to rebuild my pointy-ears, and I've started with winning two armies from ebay. Some of those old models are in a pretty bad way, and they're going to need some serious TLC to get them up to speed.
However, with some cheating, I think I can currently make the following army:
3 Titans, 3 Tempests, 4 Wave Serpents, 6 War Walkers, 2 Prism Cannons, 2 Doomweavers, 3 Warlocks, 7 units of Guardians, 4 units of Jetbikes, 2 units of Vypers, 4 units of Tremor Cannons, 3 units of Lascannons, 5 units of Wraithlords, 2 units of Exarchs, 1 unit of Rangers, 1 unit of Dark Reapers, 1 unit of Swooping Hawks, 1 unit of Dire Avengers, 2 units of Fire Dragons, 2 units of Harlequins, 2 units of Striking Scorpions, 1 unit of Howling Banshees, and 1 unit of Wraithguard.
There are a few things I'd still like, such as the very important Avatar, but getting the forces I've already got table-ready will be a task all on its own. Oh well. Better get back on ebay...