I tend to always be fiddling with little bits and bobs in the wargaming hobby, but I've never really got very far in terms of completing anything. I've got five (and a bit) 40K armies to paint, about seven Epic armies to paint, Epic-S rules to finalise, 5 Blood Bowl teams to finish painting, and terrain to make, let alone getting the actual games set up and played. Anyway, just to prove that I do actually try and get some stuff done, I decided to start documenting what I've been doing.
And no it's not lost on me that if I didn't use up my time by taking pictures and documenting pointless stuff like this I'd actually get more real work done. But I don't care.
A large gap of over a year and a half had passed without any playing of Games Workshop games. Finally in late Summer 2005 it was decided that we would get back into the dice rollin' swing of things. This time though, fingz wudd be diffrunt.
In the big gap of no playing between 1998 and 2001 a lot of the old terrain we used to have had been thrown away, as it was assumed we'd never play again, with us growing up, getting jobs and such and such. The old hills, river, and no less than three Games Workshop W40K bunkers had been binned as the miniatures themselves were dumped into lofts to gather dust.
Between 2001 and 2003 we were more into the playing of the games rather than worrying about terrain. But very often we would talk about how cool it would be to have good terrain. Top of our list was a much missed river and a large hill that had got ravines and cliffs cut through it with bridges spanning the gaps. But apart from buying a couple of interesting looking rock things we still never bothered about terrain.
2004 and most of 2005 passed without incident, though I had been quietly hoarding materials for a few years in anticipation of a possible big terrain build. The ice finally broke when a large computer delivery at my place of work landed me with almost unlimited amounts of polystyrene and thick card. Finally we could see our idea turning into a reality.
Here, you can view the progression of the terrain as we built it...
After the first week of work, the river sections and hills had been cut out of their respective materials and glued together. Filler was then applied to build up the river banks and smooth off the cliff faces. The river was painted a dark blue gloss, and the grass areas painted green.
"Stebloke's Jolly Mixture" (dirt,sand,pebbles,pva glue,black paint) was then applied to the cliff areas and river banks, before all being drybrushed heavily with white. Static grass was then applied to the green areas.
Seeing how well Stebloke's Jolly Mixture worked with a heavy white drybrush, this technique was used on a fish tank decoration that we bought a few years back, as well as two old ruin sections made out of polystyrene trays. These things all looked shite before, and were in need of attention.
Then I started to look into some forest sections, using fish tank plastic plants. The trees were undercoated with black spray, then given a light coating of brown spray. Leftovers from a sheet of static grass were trimmed for gluing onto the card bases. Where there were breaks in the static grass pieces, I glued some sand just to cover them up.
The only thing the forests needed then was for the plastic palm trees to be painted.
After getting sick of all the polystyrene packing I had stuffed in my loft I finally got round to hacking some of it up with a new foam cutter. Handy little gizmo. I pretty much tried to copy Games Workshop's rocks from their old battle reports and stuff, though they're obviously nowhere near as good.
The rocks were finished using the good old jolly mixture and a white drybrush to give them texture. Also, a couple of simple bridges have been made as places to cross over the river. At last, the more natural elements to our terrain are finished. I think I might have a break before getting stuck into all those buildings I have planned...
Filling the gaps
Applying the Jolly Mixture
Finished river sections and hill
Jolly Mixture results, and starting the trees
Working on the trees
Completed forest sections
Polystyrene rocks on the go
Completed terrain pieces