Top

< Previous Page

Next Page >

7th February 2010: Getting Ready To Drop

Today I've finally started to build the drop pod I've been planning for about 6 months. Just got the basic structure done so far out of foamboard. I'm also looking to use an old Space Wolf model to convert my own Vulkan He'stan, though I'm still not sure how to go about it:

Drop Pod shell and Marine bits

Drop Pod shell and Marine bits

Also, Scooby has pretty much convinced me I need a Bio-Titan for my Nidz, and as there's absolutely no way I'm gonna go spending over 200 quid for a crappy resin one it's gonna have to be scratch built. More thoughts on the possibility of this massive undertaking will come soon...

14th December 2009: Eww, It's All Sticky

Recently I decided to start dabbling with green stuff for the first time. The main reason for this was because I wanted to get a Callidus Assassin and give her crazy long hair like some Japanese Anime character. I reckoned I had two options: either get the proper assassin model and green stuff her hair, or buy the Dark Eldar model Kruellagh The Vile (who has pretty much the hair I wanted) and convert her to be an assassin. I eventually (and somewhat foolishly) opted for the former. The problem I had here was I started to green stuff this model right away rather than have a few "practise runs".
Because I had read that it was best to green stuff over some kind of support I left the model's pony tail and just started to build up around it.

I hit problems as soon as I started building up the hair strands: green stuff just plain sucks! Anyway, I've finally done the whole head of hair. The actual detail I've ended up with is quite acceptable for my own low standards, but the main problem is immediately evident - the mass of hair above her head is just way too big!

Looking back now I realise I should have hacked off the pony tail and built up the green stuff in layers right from her head. So now I've got two options: either hack most of the hair off and do it again now I know a bit more about what I'm doing, or chalk this one up to experience and just paint her like the crazy fool I am. She would be quite funny.

Anyway, soon after putting the last strands on the assassin, I quickly used the spare green stuff I'd mixed up to add more hair to my new Inquisitor, mainly just trying to extend the hair style that was there. Didn't try anywhere near as hard, but bought this model solely so I can get the assassin into games alongside my Marines or Guard.

Never to be forgotten, things have been moving steadily along with my Marines. Combi-weapons have been order of the day, with a converted combi-flamer, and two converted combi-meltas now complete.

Starting to green stuff

Starting to green stuff

Woah! Big hair!

Woah! Big hair!

Inquisitor's hair

Inquisitor's hair

Combi-weapon work

Combi-weapon work

In painting terms, there's a whole lot of Marine stuff on the go all at the same time: a Tac. squad, my five Scout snipers, and all models in Terminator armour. Most of the Terminators are ready for basing, including an old Librarian from Space Hulk:

The Terminator Sergeant was the first face I'd painted since deciding my Marines were founded from the Salamanders. A good chance to try the pitch black skin and red eyes.

All the previous faces I've painted can obviously be explained as newer Marines that were not recruited from the planet of Nocturne.

Because I've been a bit bored of painting blue and orange for what seems like forever, I've spent a little time recently testing out some colour schemes for some of my other armies. The Carnifex is the first Nid I've ever painted, and also the first time I can remember making red actually look decent.

I'm also part way through my Eldar Farseer, just seeing what a typical elfish "woodland green" idea would look like.

I know a Carnifex and a Farseer are fairly important models to just try out colour schemes on, but I can be wild when I wanna be.

Terminators

Terminators

Been coal mining

Been coal mining

Grrr, nom nom

Grrr, nom nom

Farseer stuff

Farseer stuff

1st November 2009: The Buildings Appear

After not touching the tomb for quite a while, I changed my mind about it when I came back to finish it. Rather than have it Necron-only, I decided to make it more generic so that it could be used for anything. To this end, I added small bricks made out of card, painted it in black textured paint and drybrushed it an Imperial-esque blue.

I've also got around to sticking together my GW ruins so that we will finally have some kind of buildings to fight over in our battles.

The finished tomb

The finished tomb

Ruining things

Ruining things

4th August 2009: More 6mm Machines

As usual I have taken a long time out from one of my projects to do bits of work on others and also be quite lazy. Still, recently I have competed the first Andrayada Codex and fully assembled the entire army. The picture below is missing the Aryx cargo ship thing, and I've also counted enough spare models to make another infantry phalanx unit. Though I will have to cobble the bases together out of something else rather than bug my colleague again...

The Andrayada force

The Andrayada force

< Previous Page

Next Page >