The big terrain build I started a while back is continuing, though very slowly. It's been such a slow slog because I've not had a great deal of time for wargaming so far this year, as I've been trying to make it more about computer games.
Yet a few of my planned terrain pieces are now complete.
I had the clever idea at first to try and create some buildings from scratch from some offcuts of wood. I originally wanted them to look like factories, but I think they've come out more looking like hab-units. But oh well.
These took forever, especially the adding of the detail which I did by just cutting out bits of card, so I ended up veering away from these to work on other things, coming back to them every now and then.
I had far more luck and progress with the more natural additions to my terrain collection. These are some new hilly-rock things with steps, as the old steps I made looked a little big for 6mm sized models. These still look huge, but at least it's not as ridiculous to think the little dudes could climb up there.
I used filler for the first time in years on the rock faces of these pieces, and it has come out looking a lot better than how I was doing them before. This has made me decide that all my other hilly-rock-things need a big update. Great, more work.
Also, like with the 40K ruins I did a while back, I had trouble with patches of the green undercoat showing through the grass, which multiple coats didn't seem to fix. So I bought a big bag of flock to glue down first when I next added grass.
As luck would have it, the other buildings I had been working on were some 6mm MDF ruins I found online. I had gotten on so well with the filler on the rocks that I thinned some down and painted it onto the wood to give it more of a concrete texture, which worked surprisingly well. I know how I'm going to do MDF terrain in the future, that's for sure. I only wish I had used it on the other wooden buildings as well, but at this point they were a bit too far along for me to be bothered going back and tinkering.
I also tried my new idea, and flocked the bases of these ruins before adding the grass, and the result, while not perfect, is a marked improvement.
With the rocks and ruins done, it was back to the wooden buildings to finish the painting on those. I think I spoiled them a little, as I used quite a heavy splash of a wash I mixed up myself. I didn't really intend this to be a shade wash, but more of a grime wash. Well, they are certainly grimy looking. A bit too grimy. Still, they are done and usable, so I'm not going to complain too much.
They've ended up quite simple, so maybe I should have added more detail before painting them, but I'd had enough of all that fiddly crap.
All that's left now is to wait for a nice day to varnish/seal them. Meanwhile, I've still got lots of other materials and ideas I am starting to move forward with...
The basic shape of the buildings
Starting to add some detail
Cutting out some pieces from XPS offcuts
Figuring out an arrangement
One building ready for painting
The 6mm MDF ruins start to take shape
Starting to build up the texture and colour
New hilly rock thingies all done
Nice new bag'o flock
Base colours all done on the wood buildings
MDF ruins all complete and on the tabletop
Wooden buildings all painted and ready for action