It's been a long while since the story section last had any attention. A while back, I gave up on the idea of ever finishing my Star Wars stories, so instead have typed out a rough outline as to what may have happened during the rest of the saga. I've also expanded the names & characters section with images where possible.
Did some work behind the scenes of the game blog page so that the game filters now work much better.
A couple of months back I found loads of old notes about all the old Epic Space Marine games we played, starting from back when I was in high school. I thought it would be a good idea to type them all up as best I could, and upload them all. While I was at it, I also converted the Epic-S and 40K battle reports from their PDF state to HTML, and they can be found on the Warhammer 40K page.
This is where you can read any of my irregular wafflings about tabletop gaming.
Unfortunately we failed to continue our interest in developing the 40K-S ruleset, though to be honest it was nearly there the last time we had some games and probably won't take much more effort to finish when we get back into it.
Our interest these last few weeks has all been about an old game that nevertheless is fairly new to me - Warhammer Quest. I had only ever played once before, which must have been at least a decade ago, and our party was wiped after just four board sections. How hard it seemed, and how little I knew of the rules, always left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I never had much interest in trying it again or learning it properly. I was always much more motivated to play the games I already knew the rules to such as Blood Bowl or Epic.
Wanting to keep the gaming wheels turning I have however started to get into it as it seems it's the only game Scoob wants to play at the moment.
To try it out we did a series of four games, of which we only managed to complete the first one, and the fourth of which led to the deaths of two of our four characters. Again the difficulty and the surprisingly long time it takes to finish a game have annoyed me a little. But Scoob assures me once the characters are levelled up a bit it becomes much more fun. So rather than quit or start again, we have decided to keep the two survivors and ramp things up even more, by switching to a 6-man party. I've bought some new Reaper Bones models rather than use the old Warhammer models that I had been using, but they've proven a bit troublesome to both prep and paint. Due to the very flexible plastic they are made of, some of the models arrived badly bent, and I've had to try reshaping them using boiling water. But still some problems remain.
On the painting side, you can tell there's a lack of detail compared to the original metal versions, and at some points I'm having trouble knowing where one colour should end and another begin.
It seems the only thing I have managed to do with little trouble over these last few weeks is print off some new, larger rooms for the game, to allow for the bigger party and the extra monsters that will be needed. I actually made most of the rooms myself which was pretty cool to do.
One of the other things that annoys me with the game is the fact you have to roll the dice for the monsters, either rolling them against yourself or against your team mates. So along with the new models and dungeons we are preparing, another thing I wanted to do was make some random dice rollers which I have uploaded here. Now the computer will roll against us and I'll feel less of a dick for rolling all those sixes against Scoob. Extra information and images will also appear on that new page as soon as I have any to upload.
The very bendy Reaper Bones models
Printing some bigger Warhammer Quest tiles
In Blood Bowl news, I finally got around to trying to turn Tifa into Bertha with an old Warhammer model's cloak and a whole load of green stuff. She looks absolute brown pants, but I'm no sculptor and I've done the best I can. Hopefully some paint will help her fit in with the other models somewhat.
I've also had a lot of trouble undercoating Impact's Amazon team. These ladies are made of the same Trollcast Resin that the Sarcos team are made of, which gave me no trouble at all. Though I prepped them exactly the same with the soap and toothbrush scrub recommended for such models, the white Halford's spray I tried just flaked off them almost immediately. So I had to scrub them all again, and assumed it was the spray that was at fault. However, I then bought some Army Painter white spray, after being very impressed with their blue a few months back. But still the same problem persisted. I would say that the Army Painter spray flaked off even easier that the Halford's spray, and once again they had a scrub to remove the paint. You can see on the picture below that very little of the spray managed to stick after a gentle scrub.
In the end I've had to paint Skull White onto them with a brush, which seems to have stuck fine. I have no idea what was going on there.
Overall very disappointed with that Army Painter white, as it has laid down a fairly rough texture on the new Reaper models as well, making it even harder to paint them.
Blood Bowl prep work