Top
--------
MENU
--------
Home > Tabletop Games > Blog

Latest Blog Entry

9th June: Surviving A Blizzard

Latest News

6th May 2019

It's been a long while since the story section last had any attention. A while back, I gave up on the idea of ever finishing my Star Wars stories, so instead have typed out a rough outline as to what may have happened during the rest of the saga. I've also expanded the names & characters section with images where possible.

29th October 2017

Did some work behind the scenes of the game blog page so that the game filters now work much better.

30th June 2017

A couple of months back I found loads of old notes about all the old Epic Space Marine games we played, starting from back when I was in high school. I thought it would be a good idea to type them all up as best I could, and upload them all. While I was at it, I also converted the Epic-S and 40K battle reports from their PDF state to HTML, and they can be found on the Warhammer 40K page.

Tabletop Games Blog

This is where you can read any of my irregular wafflings about tabletop gaming.

4th February 2019 - Small Steps

Got a few things done these last couple of weeks, but have only ended up giving myself more tasks to do.

Up first, I've finally painted the old style Tyranid Warriors. They took way too long, so for the next unit I'm painting, the Termagants, I'm going to keep it as simple as possible, like I did for the Genestealers a few years back.

After many failed attempts, I finally settled for less than perfect for my Dark Eldar Wyches. Most of the casts I tried had imperfections, from small to very obvious. In the end, I've used the best 4 bodies, and will just try and fill the few little cracks and problem areas with either PVA or paint.
Finishing the Wyches was not the main problem I've had, as that honour belongs to the failcast Striking Scorpions that I got around to assembling recently. Holy shit. That material is so bad. GW started using that stuff years ago, meaning they've had a long time now to get it right, but it was a horrible experience getting those models table ready. Without doubt, I will never buy any such models ever again.
There was so much flashing to remove, and in really awkward places. There's also a fair few little bubbles, and 4 of the 5 swords needed heating and bending back into correct position. Shoddy.

It means that, at last, all my newly aquired models are now assembled, to go with all my already-owned models from last time. All I really need to do is magnetize the gun ends for the Hive Guard, and strip the Warriors I got from ebay (more Warriors, sigh).

Tyranid Warriors done at last

Tyranid Warriors done at last

Casting is harder than I thought

Casting is harder than I thought

All my new models

All my new models

Quite a while ago I decided that I would not bother getting any more wargaming terrain, but our forays into 40K late last year started changing my mind. A couple of months back, I came up with an idea to make a new river after my old crappy one went in the bin a couple of years back. I eventually decided against that as there are no rules for rivers in 40K any more. It seems more important to have LOS-blocking terrain, and I recently saw some MDF stuff for a fairly good price so I've chosen to try it. I've no idea what it's like to put together, but I think I'm going to paint it to look like rockcrete rather than metal.

My first ever MDF terrain waits for my attention

My first ever MDF terrain waits for my attention

Outside of wargaming, I've made a little progress on some other things. My original plan for the Gaslands templates was to laminate them, but to save time I first tried just gluing them to some card. I must have put on way too much glue or something, and this ended up with the templates creasing up really bad. So after all that, I had to print them out again and laminate them anyway.
Now I just need to figure out how to put some guns on the vehicles so we can give it a bash.

Over Christmas we finally tried Deep Pockets, and while the game went alright, I was unhappy with a few things. For some weird reason, my printer originally printed the dark blue and purple cards so they looked very similar, so I've made a new purple set. I've also printed and laminated a new set of money cards, as the others were crappy, and I wanted to steal the card sleeves for Marvel Legendary. So all is good now.

Gaslands template fail

Gaslands template fail

Gaslands template success

Gaslands template success

New Deep Pockets cards

New Deep Pockets cards