It's been a long while since the story section last had any attention. A while back, I gave up on the idea of ever finishing my Star Wars stories, so instead have typed out a rough outline as to what may have happened during the rest of the saga. I've also expanded the names & characters section with images where possible.
Did some work behind the scenes of the game blog page so that the game filters now work much better.
A couple of months back I found loads of old notes about all the old Epic Space Marine games we played, starting from back when I was in high school. I thought it would be a good idea to type them all up as best I could, and upload them all. While I was at it, I also converted the Epic-S and 40K battle reports from their PDF state to HTML, and they can be found on the Warhammer 40K page.
This is where you can read any of my irregular wafflings about tabletop gaming.
We are really into 40K at the moment, and have just started our first campaign. The trouble is, from the very first battle I realised to tell interesting stories (which is what I see campaigns as being all about) it is necessary to have more specialized pieces of terrain than just a few hills and ruins. This article is all about special terrain pieces we make to use specifically in our campaign.
The early battles of the campaign are about Necrons being awoken by constant battles between the Orks and the Imperium on the planet of Kaloris Secundus. So it seemed pretty obvious we needed some kind of tomb entrance for these mechanical monstrosities to enter the campaign from.
I'd got some old polystyrene printer packaging with a segment that looked a little door-like, so I cut that out and started to build other scraps of polystyrene up around it. Rather than make a whole massive tomb I decided it would be easier to try and create a little "extension" to the hills we have already got. It would look a little odd, but it would save us making a new massive hilly thing that we would hardly ever get to use again.
I had a vague recollection of what the tomb entrances looked like in the Dark Crusade computer game, so started to arrange the polystyrene pieces to make it look sort of like those:
Once the pieces were glued together (with PVA) I hacked around the edges, then used a cheap and cheerful papier-mâché technique on the cliff/rock sections to cover the gaps and take away the polystyrene look. Then I slapped the first coat of paint on: