It's been a long while since the story section last had any attention. A while back, I gave up on the idea of ever finishing my Star Wars stories, so instead have typed out a rough outline as to what may have happened during the rest of the saga. I've also expanded the names & characters section with images where possible.
Did some work behind the scenes of the game blog page so that the game filters now work much better.
A couple of months back I found loads of old notes about all the old Epic Space Marine games we played, starting from back when I was in high school. I thought it would be a good idea to type them all up as best I could, and upload them all. While I was at it, I also converted the Epic-S and 40K battle reports from their PDF state to HTML, and they can be found on the Warhammer 40K page.
This is where you can read any of my irregular wafflings about tabletop gaming.
While Space Marines have always been my main army in both Epic and 40K, I have over the years got steadily more and more frustrated with the fact that nearly everybody else has also got Space Marine armies. In the background I had been collecting second hand Tyranid figures from eBay, though without ever really getting the chance to use them. So in mid 2008, when we decided we were really gonna give 40K a go of it, I decided to get my Nidz the new GW battleforce, which would give them a serious boost and make them much more tempting to use.
Though the battleforce contained the very cool latest Carnifex model, the models I were most interested in were the Tyranid Warriors. I had already got lots of the older style Warriors, most armed with ranged weapons, so I wanted to do something considerably different with these. It was quite an obvious choice I suppose, considering they can now have wings. I didn't want to pay the hysterically monumental price for Forge World wings, so I originally planned on scratch building my own. A little later, my mate Scooby gave me some spare harpy wings he had got, but as usual, something else got my attention and my poor Warriors were once again forgotten...
In Feb 09 I finally got my ass motivated to do something about them. It only took about a second to decide whether I should continue with the idea of scratch building the wings, or modify the harpy wings. Afterall, I'm very lazy.
I used some spare pairs of Gaunt Spinefist arms as the starting point, and started hacking out a place to glue the wings to.
Tyranid Warrior Wings
Because I've never used green stuff (and as mentioned before I'm very lazy) I decided on a very fast and easy method for blending the join between the plastic arm and the metal wings. I decided to slap on a load of pva glue and wrap the areas with small pieces of toilet roll. Hopefully when the wings are painted the joins will be much less obvious, and have the added bonues of adding more strength. When this was dry I used clippers and a small drill bit to prepare the wings for pinning to the model. Though the drill bit was the smallest I could find it still looks too big for the thin metal strips I use as pins. Though if it works, I don't care.
Tyranid Warrior Wings
So with the wings ready I prepped the models for the join, and stuck everything together. Because the join area was not too great I also carefully "painted" parts of the completed joins with more pva glue, hoping it wold give them more strength.
Assembled and ready for paint
So with the models assembled all that I need to do now is to get around to painting them...