It's been a long while since the story section last had any attention. A while back, I gave up on the idea of ever finishing my Star Wars stories, so instead have typed out a rough outline as to what may have happened during the rest of the saga. I've also expanded the names & characters section with images where possible.
Did some work behind the scenes of the game blog page so that the game filters now work much better.
A couple of months back I found loads of old notes about all the old Epic Space Marine games we played, starting from back when I was in high school. I thought it would be a good idea to type them all up as best I could, and upload them all. While I was at it, I also converted the Epic-S and 40K battle reports from their PDF state to HTML, and they can be found on the Warhammer 40K page.
This is where you can read any of my irregular wafflings about tabletop gaming.
I tend to always be fiddling with little bits n bobs in this hobby, but never really getting very far in terms of completing anything. I've got five (and a bit) 40K armies to paint, about seven Epic armies to paint, Epic-S rules to finalise, 5 Blood Bowl teams to finish painting, and terrain to make, let alone getting the actual games set up and played. Anyway, just to prove that I do actually try and get some stuff done, this section is to throw bits and bobs of everything at.
And no it's not lost on me that if I didn't use up my time by taking pictures and documenting pointless stuff like this I'd actually get more real work done. But I don't care.
A large gap of over a year and a half had passed without any playing of Games Workshop games. Finally in late Summer 2005 it was decided that we would get back into the dice rollin' swing of things. This time though, fingz wudd be diffrunt.
In the big gap of no playing between 1998 and 2001 a lot of the old terrain we used to have had been thrown away, as it was assumed there would be no playing ever again. The old hills, river, and no less than three Games Workshop W40K bunkers had been binned as the models were dumped into lofts to gather dust.
Between 2001 and 2003 we were more into the playing of the games rather than worrying about terrain. But very often we would talk about how cool it would be to have good terrain. Top of our list was a much missed river and a large hill that had got ravines and cliffs cut through it with bridges spanning the gaps. But apart from buying a couple of interesting looking rock things we still never bothered about terrain.
2004 and most of 2005 passed without incident, though I had been quietly hoarding materials for a few years in anticipation of a possible big terrain build. The ice finally broke when a large computer delivery at my place of work landed me with almost unlimited amounts of polystyrene and thick card. Finally we could see our idea turning into a reality.
On this page, you can view the progression of the terrain as we build it...
After the first week of work, river sections and hills have been cut out of their respective materials and glued together.
Filler has been applied to build up the river banks and smooth off the cliff faces. The river has been painted a dark blue gloss.
All the grass areas have been painted green.
"Stebloke's Jolly Mixture" (dirt,sand,pebbles,pva glue,black paint) has been applied to the cliff areas and river banks.
All the rock areas of the river and hills have been drybrushed heavily with white. Static grass has been applied to the green areas.
Also, other things have been started. Seeing how well Stebloke's Jolly Mixture worked with a heavy white drybrush, this technique has been done on a fish tank decoration that we bought a few years back, as well as two old ruin sections made out of polystyrene trays. These things all looked shite before, and were in need of attention. Also, I've started to look into some forest sections, using fish tank plastic plants.
The trees have been undercoated with black spray, then given a light coating of brown spray. Leftovers from a sheet of static grass have been trimmed for gluing onto the card bases.
The static grass pieces have been fixed onto the bases properly, and sand has been applied over the breaks in the static grass pieces. The only thing the forests need now is for the plastic palm trees to be painted.
After getting sick of all the polystyrene packing I had stuffed in my loft I finally got round to hacking some of it up with a new foam cutter. Handy little gizmo. I've pretty much been trying to copy Games Workshop's rocks from their old battle reports and stuff, though they're obviously not gonna be anywhere near as good.
The rocks have been finished, using the good old jolly mixture and a white drybrush to give them texture. Also, a couple of simple bridges have been made as places to cross over the river. At last, the more natural elements to our terrain are finished. I think I might have a break before getting stuck into all those buildings I have planned...