21st October 2014: Going On A Quest
Unfortunately we failed to continue our interest in developing the 40K-S ruleset, though to be honest it was nearly there the last time we had some games and probably won't take much more effort to finish when we get back into it.
Our interest these last few weeks has all been about an old game that nevertheless is fairly new to me - Warhammer Quest. I had only ever played once before, which must have been at least a decade ago, and our party was wiped after just four board sections. How hard it seemed, and how little I knew of the rules, always left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I never had much interest in trying it again or learning it properly. I was always much more motivated to play the games I already knew the rules to such as Blood Bowl or Epic.
Wanting to keep the gaming wheels turning I have however started to get into it as it seems it's the only game Scoob wants to play at the moment.
To try it out we did a series of four games, of which we only managed to complete the first one, and the fourth of which led to the deaths of two of our four characters. Again the difficulty and the surprisingly long time it takes to finish a game have annoyed me a little. But Scoob assures me once the characters are levelled up a bit it becomes much more fun. So rather than quit or start again, we have decided to keep the two survivors and ramp things up even more, by switching to a 6-man party. I've bought some new Reaper Bones models rather than use the old Warhammer models that I had been using, but they've proven a bit troublesome to both prep and paint. Due to the very flexible plastic they are made of, some of the models arrived badly bent, and I've had to try reshaping them using boiling water. But still some problems remain.
On the painting side, you can tell there's a lack of detail compared to the original metal versions, and at some points I'm having trouble knowing where one colour should end and another begin.
It seems the only thing I have managed to do with little trouble over these last few weeks is print off some new, larger rooms for the game, to allow for the bigger party and the extra monsters that will be needed. I actually made most of the rooms myself which was pretty cool to do.
One of the other things that annoys me with the game is the fact you have to roll the dice for the monsters, either rolling them against yourself or against your team mates. So along with the new models and dungeons we are preparing, another thing I wanted to do was make some random dice rollers. Now the computer will roll against us and I'll feel less of a dick for rolling all those sixes against Scoob.