4th February 2019: MDF
Quite a while ago I decided that I would not bother getting any more wargaming terrain, but our forays into 40K late last year started changing my mind. A couple of months back, I came up with an idea to make a new river after my old crappy one went in the bin a couple of years back. I eventually decided against that as there are no rules for rivers in 40K any more. It seems more important to have LOS-blocking terrain, and I recently saw some MDF stuff for a fairly good price so I've chosen to try it. I've no idea what it's like to put together, but I think I'm going to paint it to look like rockcrete rather than metal.
My first ever MDF terrain waits for my attention
11th August 2018: Rules Are Made To Be Fixed
For the past couple of weeks I've put in quite a bit of work on my Super Dungeon rules, after I finally found a copy of 1st edition on ebay and got really motivated again. I'm now on the 5th version of my rules, and most of the changes for this one are in an effort to make the game even faster. The main change is that I've thrown out buffs and debuffs, so their counters are no longer needed, and there are less things to remember. The changes have definitely made it faster and easier, and I feel at last like I'm on the right track.
Of course, if I get these working I'll have to make a full, advanced rule set which adds all these things back in, for when we want to punish ourselves with a much longer game.
In regards to the 1st edition version of the game, I'm actually quite disappointed in a lot of the models. The sculpts are just not as good as those from the Forgotten King set. I don't know how clear it is in the picture here, but the 1st edition model (left) does not have the clear details of the F.K. model, and is also covered in more mold lines.
Still, I really like the boards, even though they're not the same size, as there's just less junk on them to have to move and fight around.
For my playtesting, I've put together some simple wooden counters, in grey and green, for use as terrain. The game doesn't really need them, but sometimes it's easy to miss symbols on the board (especially on games nights when drink is involved) and these just make it easier to see things the heroes are supposed to move around.
I may have been buying more things...
Beta 4 to 5 behaviour sheet change
5th beta in action
10th March 2016: Can We Stomp Yet?
A few years back we were really into playing Blood Bowl, enough so that I even made my own board to play on called The Stompin' Ground. All these years have passed and that board has never even been used, as I was always really unhappy with it.
After three years away from the game, new interest has been forming, and preparations are now complete for the continuation of season 6. So that we do not have to use my old original Blood Bowl board, I have finally gone back to the Stompin' Ground to make it usable at last.
Firstly, I had to do something about the crappy and almost sandpaper-esque grass mat that I had used previously. Slapping a nice thick coat of static grass over the top of it has taken away its roughness. I'm not so scared about using painted minis on it any more.
After that, the grid needed re-painting, as it was really hard to see. I think I found the exact locations of most of the crosses, but I guessed for some of the more hidden ones, and they are probably slightly out of place. But never mind. It's still a lot better than it was.
I also had to remake the scoreboard areas, as a lot of the paint and glue had peeled off, making it look very untidy. I've contructed the new ones in a different way to minimize that problem in the future.
It's not that great, but I'm happy to use it at last. Hopefully, the little 6-team league we've arranged will begin soon, and some stompin' will finally happen on the Stompin' Ground.
Painting the new grid
The new scoreboard
Let the games begin
23rd May 2014: Stuff's Happened
Wow, kind of a crazy wargaming entry for this blog after some years of inactivity. It seems finally that some motivation and desire to work on this hobby is again starting to flow through my veins.
The first thing I got around to was more terrain. After finishing the oil plant I felt determined to finish all the other terrain I had started in the past. In addition, I made some steps up in the style of the hilly rock things, and some bridges to also get an interesting two-level effect.
All the terrain that needed finishing
All the finished terrain
6th April 2014: Black Gold
It's been a long long time since I paid wargaming any attention, but for some reason, over the last couple of weeks I've been motivated to complete the oil plant that I started about five years ago. That only leaves a couple of craters and the Aegis defence line to paint and all the terrain I've started will be done. I could probably do with making a brand new river, and I have some ideas for new hilly rock things to make the ones I've already made a bit more usable, but neither of those things are really that necessary. It's not like we're actually playing many games at the moment...
The completed oil plant