Top

< Previous Page

Next Page >

12th October 2019: Tabletop Trickle

So after a few months off, I've recently managed to find a little time and motivation to continue my tabletop adventures. Firstly, back before my break, I managed to finish painting my two Tyranid Primes. In the last few weeks, I've been working on the second Tyranid Warrior unit, which I've been trying to paint in classic Space Wolf colours of blue-grey and yellow.
I've also undercoated the other Marines I put together, so I can crack on at some point with painting all of those. If all goes well, in a few months all my Nidz and Marines will be finished.

Tyranid Primes done

Tyranid Primes done

Warriors nearly done

Warriors nearly done

Extra Marines ready for paint

Extra Marines ready for paint

19th May 2019: The Tyranid Painter

My painting speed has definitely slowed down over the last couple of months, but I'm still managing to get a few things finished here and there. I know I was going to go straight into the Hormagaunt brood, but to be honest they're intimidating me. I really need to knuckle down, as I only have the following units left to complete at this point:

Spraying some dudes

Spraying some dudes

Hive Tyrant done

Hive Tyrant done

Zoanthrope #2 and Rippers done

Zoanthrope #2 and Rippers done

Raveners done

Raveners done

Biovores and Spores done

Biovores and Spores done

23rd March 2019: Way Of The Brush

When it comes to tabletop action, there's not been a whole lot going these last couple of months in terms of variety. Instead, I've just been painting like a mad man in an attempt to get my Tyranids ready.
I continue to try and give each unit a very different look, and I'm pretty happy with the Lictors in particular.
As they are supposed to be sneaky, I chose probably the three most common camouflage colours in brown, grey and green, but then jazzed them up a bit with some very bright claws and teeth.

Like the Warriors from last time, I'm just going to wait until all the models are done and just base them all in one big session.

Working on the last few Termagants

Working on the last few Termagants

Termagants done

Termagants done

Working on the Lictors

Working on the Lictors

Lictors done

Lictors done

Zoanthrope #1 done

Zoanthrope #1 done

Hormagaunts up next...

Hormagaunts up next...

The only thing I've been able to do that has not been slapping paint on has been scrubbing paint off. I'm not really a fan of stripping miniatures as it is always so messy and smelly, but some of those poor models really needed it, especially the Warriors I got from ebay and a couple of Eldar things that were ruined by a very rough spray undercoat.

The paint came off most of the models very easily, even the old beaky Marines, that were covered in several coats. However, the ebay Warriors were trouble. Absolutely no idea what kind of paint their original owner had used on them, but I had to leave them in that tub for nearly a week with several scrub attempts to get them somewhat clean. I even ended up throwing one out, as I just couldn't shift one and a half of its old coats of paint.
Oh well, one less to paint I guess.

Ready for a dip in the pool

Ready for a dip in the pool

The Avatar oversees the initial proceedings

The Avatar oversees the initial proceedings

This is messy as hell

This is messy as hell

Ready for more paint

Ready for more paint

4th February 2019: Small Steps

Got a few things done these last couple of weeks, but have only ended up giving myself more tasks to do.

Up first, I've finally painted the old style Tyranid Warriors. They took way too long, so for the next unit I'm painting, the Termagants, I'm going to keep it as simple as possible, like I did for the Genestealers a few years back.

After many failed attempts, I finally settled for less than perfect for my Dark Eldar Wyches. Most of the casts I tried had imperfections, from small to very obvious. In the end, I've used the best 4 bodies, and will just try and fill the few little cracks and problem areas with either PVA or paint.
Finishing the Wyches was not the main problem I've had, as that honour belongs to the failcast Striking Scorpions that I got around to assembling recently. Holy shit. That material is so bad. GW started using that stuff years ago, meaning they've had a long time now to get it right, but it was a horrible experience getting those models table ready. Without doubt, I will never buy any such models ever again.
There was so much flashing to remove, and in really awkward places. There's also a fair few little bubbles, and 4 of the 5 swords needed heating and bending back into correct position. Shoddy.

It means that, at last, all my newly aquired models are now assembled, to go with all my already-owned models from last time. All I really need to do is magnetize the gun ends for the Hive Guard, and strip the Warriors I got from ebay (more Warriors, sigh).

Tyranid Warriors done at last

Tyranid Warriors done at last

Casting is harder than I thought

Casting is harder than I thought

All my new models

All my new models

< Previous Page

Next Page >